1.31.2007

 

School of the Americas Watch

That's right, I haven't been blogging much. Today I am moved to blog by the courage of my neighbor, Don Coleman, who, along with 15 other protesters, was just sentenced to two months in federal prison for "unlawful entry" (stepping over the line onto Army territory) at the School of the Americas, Ft. Benning, Georgia, this past November. The School of the Americas trains Latin American military personnel, many of whom have gone on to engage in systematic human rights violations, torture, and murder (most famously the murder of six Jesuits, a coworker, and her daughter, in 1989 in El Salvador).

I don't know the whole story yet, but I will report soon about how you can help support the struggle to close the SOA and bring these issues to greater public awareness. In the meantime, this page has some suggestions.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?